Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Using Fabric as your Inspiration Piece

Using Fabric Swatches as your Inspiration Piece
by Laura Pruitt


As an Interior Designer, I am faced with clients on a daily basis that have a "vague" idea of what they want to have done to their room or homes, but do not know where to start. Fabric is a great place to start!

What I always do is suggest to the client that they go through magazines and clip out anything they like for any reason, brainstorming for ideas. Put them all in a folder and bring to me immediately! This will give me as a designer an idea of your likes and dislikes, and also provide me with insight to the client as a person. This is a very important element of design, understanding your client and matching them with fabrics and paints that reflect them, not the designer.


A few examples of fabric swatches I have used for inspiration in the past:


These fabric swatches are from Kravet.com as well as Fabric.com Check out Kravet's new line of virtual fabric deliciousness at http://search.kravet.com/Search.aspx?searchMode=Fabric

1 comment: